10 skills a filmmaker should have
In this article we review 10 of the most important skills that a video professional must have and, in this way, be able to make better decisions at the time of entrusting a project to each filmmaker.
Welcome to the video revolution
In recent years we have seen how the creating content in video format is essential for any corporation or brand that wants have an online presence. Video is already the preferred type of content for the user and the platforms on which to consume it have multiplied: TikTok, Dailymotion, Vimeo, Youtube or Instagram among others.
On the other hand, the technology of video and digital cinema has come a long way and the sector has democratized. Cameras are becoming more powerful and affordable and have allowed teams of fewer people to generate high-quality images.
The market for professional filmmakers is growing
These two phenomena have led to an increase in demand for courses and studies for filmmakers, camera operators, technicians and photographers. But, Which filmmaker should I hire in my company? Is it better to hire a freelance filmmaker or a production company? Or better to have an internal video department?
Let's review the good practice that make a filmmaker a good professional and those essential skills that they should have under control.
Skills of a good video creator
- Social skills: A filmmaker is not just a camera operator. At the time of recording an interview, a case study or an event should be communicated in the most effective way. The protagonists of our stories are not always used to cameras and the filmmaker has to have the ability to get the best out of them at all times.
- Have updated material. The video creator must be up to date and control all the new technologies on the market. Gimbals to stabilize the image, slow motion, special lenses and other effects can make all the difference.
- Sound: For some filmmakers used to recording events where sound is not always necessary, this may be a great unknown. Recording the interviews with two microphones, taking ambient sound into account and bringing the best material is very important to ensure quality videos with optimal sound.
- Think the video globally: As companies we expect proactivity from the filmmaker. They are the professionals who have to think about how the whole video will look once edited and therefore make sure they have enough general shots of the situation, resource shots and so on.
- Consider the goal: A very important skill is to control the tone of each video. We expect filmmakers with the ability to make videos with different styles and always appropriate to the target that the client demands. Discover the video marketing trends for 2021.
- Control the formats of the platforms: Videos can be optimized for different platforms, social networks. Controlling these formats does not mean leaving this adaptation to the editor, but recording in a specific way on the day of recording that facilitates all subsequent processes.
- Lighting: Lighting is not an easy task, it is not simply a matter of having the right bulbs but of controlling the direction of the light, the texture, the contrast and the color temperature. A professional filmmaker has to be able to demonstrate that he can provide solutions and illuminate one or two characters.
- To locate: Whether outside or inside an office, the professional filmmaker will always look for the best place to record the video. Natural light, background color and elements, and ambient noise are some of the things he must take into account.
- Methodology: In a day of recording many things can go wrong. Batteries, cards, hard drives, even cables! A good work methodology can slow down the work a bit but save us a lot of trouble in the future.
- Commitment: A good professional is one who enjoys recording and who will do his best to make the video go ahead. The filmmakers who adapt to the circumstances, are capable of proposing solutions and have a real commitment to the client are the most valued and often the ones who continue working.
These are just some of the techniques and skills one of the most important to work at ease, coherently and with great results. In FlitCut we are expanding our network of filmmakers every day and we only accept the best. If you are looking for a videographer for your company's video or if you are a video professional and you think you fit these qualities, contact us and we will be more than happy to advise you.